Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Fly-Papers [NUMBER THREE]






It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you without a strong rhyme to step to - Rakim



Fly Papers last published almost a year ago. It wasn't something that I conscientiously decided to do. At the time I was having trouble finding content. Time went on. I moved, then I got heavy into the record collecting game. Since then, I've gone on many adventures and made a lot of new friends. Now I'm back and ready to fill these pages with fun and informative content once again. Thank you.








Stephanie C. Ramirez a.k.a. Remi Ma is founder and C.E.O. of Remi Productions, and a recent graduate of the Old Dominion Univerity school of Arts.







Stephanie or "La Barbie" as my mother called her, was at the time, the baby sister of my childhood best friends. She was the 4th of her mother's 8 Children. It was the Mid 80's in Langley Park Maryland. Our families were part of the initial wave of Central American immigrants in the Washington DC area. She and her siblings grew up in hard places during difficult times. She overcame her environment and made Art her meaning. Pulling inspiration from her upbringing, religion and her mother and siblings.


Hello my name is Stephanie Concepcion Ramirez and I am coming at you live from Virginia Beach, VA. I currently reside here with my fiancĂ© of almost 9 years and am a recent graduate from Old Dominion University. I received my BFA (Bachelors of Fine Art) in print and photo – I know, what a joke, right? I mean who goes into debt for an art degree?? *raises hand * this chick.

Yeah, it sounds like a waste of time and I was actually warned by a working fashion photographer located in Milan, Italy that the degree is worthless and that I should get out as soon as possible, pack and move to France and live there to really pursue photography in fashion there. I thought about it. Even discussed it with my fiancĂ© and he of course said it was up to me. At the time I was already wrapping up my junior year and starting my senior year. I created a plan in my head on how exactly I would make this happen. Not once was I scared … of the future or money. I knew I could make it work. I came from a life where I've had to make sacrifices pretty early.

After daydreaming and shaking that fantasy out of my head, I realized that if I came all this way in school and left now, I would regret not finishing. I’m my worst critic and know myself too much to not finish something and be content with the decision 3-4  or even 20 years down the road. I continued on and made the decision to get my moneys worth. I gave myself structure and discipline in classes from then on out. I had to leave each class with something new learned and with new work deserving to be in a solid portfolio. My last 3 semesters were my strongest. I grew tremendously as an artist, photographer and woman.

My last two photography series are still ongoing and I’m currently in the processing of creating more photographs to add to those, to hopefully exhibit and enter contests nationally. I know it may seem ridiculous to some, that this is actually a consideration for a career. I don’t see it as a career though – I see it as an identity. I am an artist.

I used to wonder “why?”, why do I need to create? Well, honestly the only thing I can think of to possibly answer that question is because I need to show who I am. I’m a human just like you – just like him, her, them. I want to share.  Whether it’s a thought, a fear, an idea – it’s all a part of me and it comes from something – me …. And I am something. If you think about it that’s all this world is – ideas. People thought of these things we use on an everyday bases – computers, Facebook, jobs. My ideas, fears and feelings are worth sharing and if someone can relate to those ideas, fears and feelings, I feel my purpose in life is fulfilled. Art is my way of sharing those things – not math, not science, not business management, but art.

I could go on and on about those things, but I don’t think we have enough time. I did want to leave you with a sample of one of the series I am working on titled Her. This series was inspired by a fear, actually. A fear of mine is becoming a mother and housewife. I feel that these roles (and everything that comes along with it, i.e chores like dishes, laundry, house work, child care provider, teacher etc.) are predominately filled by women. For a long time, I thought I had to do and become these things and now as I've gotten older I see that I don’t actually have to do anything I don’t want to do. Becoming a parent is a huge responsibility and I've seen first hand what responsibility and sacrifices are needed to be made on a daily basis to provide for another life. Call it selfish – call it what you want, but for me it is a fear. I fear that in becoming those roles I will always be those roles, even if I have a career and travel the world and am on top of my game – there will always be those titles attached to me and I want no part of it. Right now, the fear is so grand that it is nearly impossible to change my mind, but who knows *Kanye shoulder shrug*. It could change. These photographs are what I imagine my life being on a day to day basis, I always wondered if I would truly be happy if I had a child and these photographs reveal my fear. I pulled inspiration from childhood memories and responsibilities I've had since I was a kid – given to me based on my gender. The dress is used as a uniform of everyday and the night gown is symbolic to my own mother, which is what she was in everyday as soon as she would get home from work. Lack of change, stripped from emotion, zombie-like, lack of aspiration, loss of identity are just a few of the fears that have manifested into this body of work. Creating a life is not what I feel my calling is – creating art about life is.  
"The Hand You're Dealt"
"Immure"
"Sunny Meadows"
"Untitled"
"Mums"
"Power"
"Fertile"
"Dough"

"Laundry Service"
"Queen of Hearts"
"On"
"Without a Name"


You can follow her on Facebook at Remi Productions and on her artistry blog STEPHANIECONCEPCIONRAMIREZ. You can browse her portfolio and inquire about her professional services at the Remi Productions Website.




When the conversation begins about the great female American Soul singers, you will always revert to Aretha Franklin the Queen of Soul. I absolutely agree. I have a good amount of her catalog in my collection and yet only have scratched the surface of her body of work. Seldom do we argue for other grand voices of the era. I have two in mind that always fall by the way side, Roberta Flack and Gladys Knight.

Frankly when I think of Roberta Flack, I think of one of the great singer/songwriters of her era. With a expansive and impressive catalog of her own. She's written some American classics such as Feel Like Making Love and Killing Me Softly.

Today I want to share my admiration and respect for my other Lady of Soul, Gladys Knight, who together with her famous Pip's has amassed a timeless body of work.

Since an early age I had somewhat of a crush on Gladys Knight. My mom used to listen to her hits. When I first saw her on TV, I felt she was beautiful, charismatic and genuine.As time went on I always favored her music. Especially her love songs, and later heartbreak songs. When buying records, I usually look for at least one song I recognize to gauge how the rest of the album will fare. When buying Neither One of Us, I should have known I was in for a surprise.




On my way home from work one day, I decided to stop at a Salvation Army to see if there were any records worth buying. I had scored there before, so I was hoping for some luck. When I approached the record bin, I noticed it was light and picked through. Nonetheless I picked through the remains. I found a couple of Otis Reddings an Aretha Franklin and this record, Neither One of Us by Gladys Knight and the Pips. I had never listened to this album, but was interested in getting to know it. When I got to the register, I was informed that it was half price because of the color price sticker it had. I think I paid .69 cents.

When I got home I rushed downstairs to my music room to catalog my new finds. Then, as usual, I prepared to listen to what I had bought. The first song on the record was of course the title track.




I'd always had a special connection with this song. One of my best friends used to play this song a lot back in the day when we worked together. We used to joke around a lot. So when this song would come, I would say, it's our song and jokingly sing it to him. We'd have a good laugh. Now when I hear it, it reminds me of the good old days with this particular friend.



The first song on the B side hit me like a ton of bricks. I had never heard And This is Love until that day. It comes in like a freight train with the Pip's in a full on chorus. When Gladys come on it slows down with drums, base and piano and Gladys recalling all the good and bad things about her failed marriage. No matter what, it was all part of their love story.

 A good listen from beginning to end. Complete with funky grooves and catchy chorus'. I highly recommend you download, buy the vinyl, CD or whatever format you prefer and put it in rotation.



Vinyl records are not all about albums or LPs. They come in 12" singles, 10" and 7" which are usually 45 RPMs. They are generally known as 45s. In my  experience, I've come to discover that 45s are more coveted and collectible than albums or 12" singles. They usually only contain 1 song on each side. There were some that only had limited runs and were only released as promotional copies for DJs. Some of the heavier collectors have amassed collections in thousands of 45s and many are rare and sought after. 

I've caught the 45 bug as of late. It's cool to me. I like the idea of havingthe 45 of a particular song, even if I have it on the album or even the 12" single. Soul, Funk and Disco have been my main focus. There were some that were easy to come by and some I'm still looking for.


 Misdemeanor by Foster Sylvers of the famous Sylvers was one of those 45s I thought I would never my get hands on. I heard it on several 45 only mixes and started to research it. It's weird because I'm in my mid 30s and I don't think I had ever heard it. When I finally got it, my wife was like, so. She had grown up listening to it and had it in her Ipod, so it was no big deal to her. I had, however felt like I hit the jackpot. 

Since finding my first copy, I've picked up a couple more. The Pride label is more common. I later found the MGM label in the rare 45 box at my local record shop. Recently, a heavy hitter in the collecting world I buy from sometimes gifted me another copy. It was a big deal to me, because of who this guy is and that he would just give me a copy of a 45 that some guys are still hoping to stumble on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment